Monday, January 11, 2010

Perfect Pictures with Fotoflexor.com

I used to bemoan the fact that I do not have fancy image editing software on my personal computer, even though I could never justify such a thing. I’ve always made do with the basic image software on my computer when an editing need arose. Until I actually started using Fotoflexor.com (for free!), I didn’t realize how much I was missing.

To give you an idea of some of the things that Fotoflexor can be used for, I’m including a few pictures, an original and two that have been altered. As you can see, drastic changes have been made without sacrificing image quality. Usually, inexpesive image editors leave pictures looking grainy (in my opinion), but this is not the case here.

An example of something more practical that was achieved using Fotoflexor – the map featured on our Library Catalog page. I cut out and outlined the circle shape on an Ohio map, added star stickers to the map to identify Southwestern locations and converted the map to .png so the white areas would be transparent.

Some of the tasks that I frequently use Fotoflexor to accomplish:
Resizing images
Converting images from .jpg to .png (opaque to transparent)
Creating nice looking collages (this is easy to do in Paint as well, but the results are better with Fotoflexor)
Cutting out shapes and backgrounds


Although I use these features less frequently, Fotoflexor also allows you to:
Change shading/coloring of pictures
Add stickers, drawing and shapes
Retouch and Distort
And do many other useful things.

I’m sure I’ve really only begun to discover the possible uses for this free online system; there are so many potential uses that I’ve never had reason to investigate. But I imagine that there are many neat ways that altered images could be used in presentations and projects – rather than just copying an image directly from a search engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment